12 Week Program
12 Week Program
The 12 Week Program has designed to give dentists the tools and knowledge needed to feel confident treating patients soon after registering for the program.
The first four weeks of the 12 Week Program, from webinar one to webinar two, allows you to complete all the clinical steps for a patient of your choosing. You can complete the rest of the program in the following eight weeks, or extend it out further and complete the program at your leisure.
On registering, you have immediate access to the program to watch and review at your leisure until the end of 2022.
Week One (Webinar One)
Complete Modules One and Two
- How to use the program,
- Selecting a patient – screening for OSA/Snoring,
- Organising a sleep study,
- Records required for a MAS – taking a registration,
- Preventing and managing occlusal changes,
- Q & A.
Select a patient and organise a sleep study (by week 3)
The patient could be from your practice, a dental assistant, a friend or family member, or even yourself.
Ideal first patient:
- Snoring should be one of their main concerns.
- BMI below 35
- Minimal medical comorbidities
- No previous sleep study
Organising a sleep study
If you have a method in place of diagnosing your patients then feel free to utilise this method.
If you don’t have a method in place for organising sleep studies we recommend utilising the Dental Sleep Diagnostics services. Visit www.dentalsleepdiagnostics.com.au for more information. They will courier a sleep study unit to your patient as well as organise a telehealth consult with a sleep physician.
You will be sent the diagnosis and treatment recommendations from the sleep physician to present to your patient. We will guide you on interpreting the sleep study and presenting the results to your patient.
Complete Modules Three and Four
Complete Module Five
Week Four (Webinar Two)
Complete Modules Six and Seven
- Presenting the results of the sleep study to the patients,
- Fitting the appliance,
- Titration protocol,
- Potential side effects,
- Q & A.
Complete Modules Eight and Nine
1. Present results of the sleep study to your patients
2. Take impressions / scans, and a registration of your patient and send to lab
- The lab providing the complimentary appliance is 3D Sleep. For the lab sheet please go to www.3dsleep.com.au, click on the lab form, followed by the online portal and then new client registration and fill in your details, a login and password will be emailed to you for submitting a new case,
- Ensure your patient is fully educated having seen a demo appliance and understands the possible side effects and what to expect with oral appliance therapy,
- Ensure the patient has read and signed the informed consent document (this can be downloaded from Dental Sleep Institute portal),
- The bite registration can be completed using the George Gauge which you should have received soon after registration in the program. Demonstrations on taking a bite registration and choosing a mandibular position are in the program and you can also see videos of this on the clinical procedures page of the 3D Sleep website,
- An intra oral scan or PVS impressions are ideal.
Complete Modules Ten and Eleven
Complete Modules Twelve and Thirteen
Complete Modules Fourteen and Fifteen
Complete Modules Sixteen and Seventeen
Fit the MAS for your patient
1. Prior to fitting, ensure the appliance fits well on the models with adequate retention.
2. Fit the appliance in the mouth making sure:
– the occlusion is balanced,
– the retention is adequate,
– the mandibular position reflects the bite registration taken,
– there is no significant discomfort.
3. Make sure the patient can easily insert and remove the appliance.
4. Fabricate the provided morning aligner as per the online program.
5. Go through the patient instruction booklet including the titration protocol which should be written on the back of the booklet.
6. Book a post fitting review appointment which is recommended prior to week 12 of the program.
Complete Modules Eighteen and Nineteen
Complete Module 20
Week Twelve (Webinar Three)
Post fitting review of your patient.
Based on the recommendations on the original sleep study the patient may require a follow up sleep study with the appliance in place, or a consultation with the sleep physician.
– Bring any problems, questions or concerns to Webinar 3.
- Post fitting assessment,
- MAS study,
- Involvement of a sleep physician,
- Combination treatments,
- Side effects,
- Occlusal changes,
- Q & A.
End of the 12 Week Program
Access to program content guaranteed until the end of 2022.