Oral Appliance Therapy
for snoring, sleep apnoea and bruxism
An online and on-demand mini-residency program with Australia’s leading practitioners and educators in dental sleep medicine.
Over 14 hours of training covering all aspects of dental sleep medicine.
Comprehensive Modules, Online & On-demand
Ongoing One-on-One Support & Mentoring
Key Articles, Clinical & Patient Education Materials
“Dental Sleep Medicine – the most exciting area in dentistry”
Dr Harry Ball, one of the most experienced clinicians in the world, presents the benefits of dentists providing oral appliance therapy for Snoring, Sleep Apnoea & Bruxism to patients.
You already have a ‘practice within a practice’ of patients who would benefit greatly from this valuable treatment.
Program Benefits and Inclusions
Start Seeing Patients
All the steps and tools to immediately start treating patients or take your practice to a new level
A comprehensive program on all aspects of oral appliance therapy.
Patient Education Materials
Essential patient education materials, clinical forms, informed consent, screening questionnaires and more.
Evidence-based and practical content
See all the clinical steps up close, with expert practitioners treating actual patients.
Training for your Team
An excellent opportunity to train key staff members who have a key role to play in providing this service.
Articles and Seminal Studies
Participants will receive an array of the important articles and seminal studies which will provide a comprehensive background in dental sleep medicine.
Mentoring / Support
Ongoing, one-on-one support and mentoring from our team of experienced clinicians
14 Hours CPD
Compliant with the Dental Board of Australia’s Guidelines on Continuing Professional Development.
Featuring many of the world leaders in Dental Sleep Medicine
Dr Harry Ball
Past Co-chair dental sleep council
of the Australasian Sleep Association
A. Prof Ramesh Balasubramaniam OAM
Oral Medicine Specialist
Dr David Cunnington
Dr Edward Lee
Dr Sam Talpis
Dr Ken Lee
Dr Eduard Pudel
Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist
Dr Sanjivan Kandasamy
Dr Andrew Gikas
Dr Frank Cahill
What makes this the best program on
dental sleep medicine in Australia
It’s easy to become enthusiastic after completing a course, and then return to your practice unable to follow up and implement the steps required.
The two key factors that set the 3D Sleep Institute program apart from all other available seminars are in providing:
1. All the systems and steps for building a successful practice in oral appliance therapy.
2. Ongoing mentoring and support for dentists and their team. The mentors are highly experienced clinicians and will help you with all the steps and protocols. Support and mentoring are integral in making this a valuable part of your practice.
The face-to-face, hands-on course is a great opportunity to hear from, and collaborate with, experienced clinicians.
Many dentists say that once the simple steps are implemented, oral appliance therapy becomes the most enjoyable and valuable part of their practice.
Highlights and Topics
Overview of Dental Sleep Medicine
The sleep physicians present on:
- Various sleep disorders with an emphasis on sleep apnoea.
- Important role of the dentist in managing sleep apnoea and snoring.
Diagnosing Sleep Apnoea
- Organising sleep studies for your patients, with the results and treatment recommendations from a sleep physician.
- An analysis of several patient sleep studies will be demonstrated.
- All aspects of the initial consultation, including the screening, examination and diagnosis.
- The simple step-by-step approach demonstrating effective patient education, treatment options and communication skills for high patient acceptance.
Choosing an Optimal Appliance
- The four essential criteria for choosing an optimal appliance.
- A demonstration of the appliances and discussion of the effectiveness, side effects and pros and cons of each appliance.
Impressions and Registration
- Each participant will be taking an optimal bite registration for a mandibular advancement splint.
- Impression techniques, including intra-oral scanning that results in the accurate fitting of appliances that require no adjustments.
- One-on-one mentoring and support from experienced clinicians is an integral part of the program.
- This is a key element for achieving the best results and integrating oral appliance therapy as a valuable part of your practice.
Fitting the Appliance
A proven method for fitting an appliance that requires minimal clinical time and adjustment, plus instructions on advancing the mandible.
- Methods for identifying existing patients of the practice who have problems with snoring and sleep apnoea.
- Proven strategies that are successful in attracting new patients, and their families and friends, who can go on to become long-term patients of the practice.
Bruxism and Occlusal Splints
- How to choose the optimal design which is effective, comfortable and based on research and the consensus of specialists
- A demonstration of a 30 second method for taking a bite registration resulting in an ideal occlusion with no adjustment required on fitting.
- Methods for effectively dealing with frequently asked questions by patients
- Communication skills that lead to high case acceptance and compliance.
Troubleshooting and Adjustments
Managing side effects is simple if they are dealt with promptly and effectively. Having fitted over 16,000 oral appliances, the clinicians will share their clinical expertise and valuable experience in overcoming problems or side effects.
- Demonstration by the ENT surgeon of an airway examination.
- The impact of nose and throat problems on sleep apnoea.
- Methods for enhancing the effectiveness of oral appliance therapy.
- The simple treatments that when combined with an oral appliance results in superior outcomes for many patients
- The indications on when to combine treatment and selecting the most effective one.